Friday, August 12, 2016

If you just sell when things are going badly, you’re nothing more than an investor - Shigenobu Nagamori Nidec

brings tears to my eyes, deeply moved.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-11/the-eccentric-billionaire-who-ignores-investors-to-get-them-rich


Nagamori says he’ll choose a successor by focusing on the same metric he uses for promotions: who makes the most money for Nidec.

“I told him he mustn’t sell. If you just sell when things are going badly, you’re nothing more than an investor,” Nagamori says. “I told him I can’t give advice on investing, but I can give any amount of advice on running businesses. If you’re going to sell the business, there’s no value in having me around.”
Nagamori decries what he sees as a lack of ambition in Japan. Too many young people are content with only “small happiness,” like going home to their children in the evening rather than working late to become their company’s next president, he says.
“Making the company bigger and leaving it behind.”